Nobody knows the wreck of a soul the way you do...

Monday, September 19, 2005

Two lesbian pirates walk into a bar...

I had an interesting weekend.

What was supposed to happen: Mo and I get decked out in pirate gear to go to my work-friend's "pirate party," in honor of National Talk Like a Pirate Day. We take the bus to said party, partake in rum and other piratey beverages, make merry with the other pirates and wenches, and then take the bus back to my place.

What actually happened: Mo and I got decked out in pirate gear, we looked up directions on the DC Metro ride-directions-giving website thingy, we boarded the bus(es) the directions indicated, and we ended up in the WRONG FUCKING QUADRANT. I swear to whatever higher power exists, if one exists at all, that I put "NE" in the little "destination" section of the Metro website, but, sure enough, we ended up in fucking Chinatown (which is NW). Dressed as pirates. So we wandered around for a bit and then decided to hit up a bar so the outing wouldn't be a total waste. We got a lot of puzzled looks from a lot of puzzled people. Even the crazy homeless dude selling funk-nasty incense on the street stared at us. And as we passed by a large, loud group of black men, I swear I heard them utter the words "whitey" and "dyke." Perhaps they thought the pirate look was a new lesbian trend.

In any case, the evening was crazy and fun, so it wasn't a total loss, even though we never actually made it to the party. We missed the last bus(es), so we ended up having to take the train back toward my place and walk the ~2 miles to my house from the station, which would have sucked much less had I not been wearing flip-flops, which left a gnarly blister on my left foot. But it was nice out, despite the humidity, and I got to see a lot more of my neighborhood than I have thus far (we found an ice cream parlor to which we plan to return in the near future).

Mo and I ended the weekend by watching Bridget Jones's Diary and sleeping 'til 3 or 4ish Sunday afternoon. Ooh! And then we cut each others' hair (really short)!... how gay is that?

|